Support health and medical research in the Illawarra
50-50 Charity Raffle
The mighty St.George Illawarra Dragons rugby league team is helping raise funds for health and medical research at IHMRI.
We are participating in a 50-50 Charity Raffle when the St.George Illawarra Dragons take on the Parramatta Eels in Round 16 of the National Rugby League.
When is it happening?
Dates: Thursday 28 June 2018 (kick off at 7.50pm)
Venue: WIN Stadium, 46 Harbour Street Wollongong 2500
Help us sell tickets
We are currently looking for volunteers to sell tickets for the raffles.
You will need to be:
- available from 5.45pm at WIN Stadium on Thursday 28 June.
- on your feet walking around the stadium among the crowd
- able to carry hand held electronic mobile devices (iPad and small ticket printer)
- outgoing and positive to sell as many tickets as possible
- willing to follow a dress code (items provided).
Benefits of volunteering
- Volunteer ticket sellers gain free entry to see the matches—go the Dragons!
- Get together with your friends and fellow researchers for a fun night out at the footy.
- Opportunity to support vital health and medical research in the Illawarra—for you and those you love.
- Chance to promote the amazing work and dedication of IHMRI researchers to the general public—in front of such a large crowd.
- Free bottled water and some light refreshments provided.
Become an IHMRI fundraiser dragon
If you are interested in volunteering, email firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday 22 June 2018.
If you are unable to sell tickets, why not purchase a ticket to the game so that you can support and cheer our fundraising campaign.
Why we need to raise funds
While many IHMRI researchers are funded through government grants, the funding pool is getting smaller every year and many promising early to mid-career researchers miss out and have to move to other capital cities and overseas. We’d like to keep them in the Illawarra.
We also require funds to advance promising research, pilot new projects, purchase vital equipment and enable researchers to get their ‘blue sky’ ideas off the ground.
How will the funds will be used?
IHMRI researchers are involved in all facets of health and medical research, but focus on some core themes including:
- Cancer (new models of care plus the development of innovative diagnostic techniques and drugs)
- Dementia and other neurodegenerative disorders (investigating the cause of Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease and devastating illnesses such as Motor Neurone Disease)
- Mental health and wellbeing (studies into depression, schizophrenia, personality disorders and drug dependence)
- Diet and lifestyle (looking at ways to reduce the risk of developing chronic diseases like obesity and diabetes in both adults and children)
- Care for the elderly (service improvement and fall prevention)
- New generation medical devices (use of cutting-edge materials and 3D-printing techniques)
- Population health.
More about 50-50
The 50-50 draw is a charity raffle held during a single day at a particular match.
Tickets are sold to patrons throughout the stadium/venue during the event by roaming ticket sellers equipped with handheld electronic mobile devices.
The gross proceeds of 50-50 tickets sold at the event go into a prize pool.
50% of the prize pool will go to the winner of the random draw, which occurs towards the end of the event. The remaining 50% will be set aside for a charitable purpose chosen by the sporting club, in this case, IHMRI.
Every ticket transaction is electronically recorded and updated on the mobile device so participants can monitor the draw and the funds raised in real time.
For more information, visit the 50-50 Charity Raffle website.