Collaborate, discover and innovate
Established in 2008, the Illawarra Health and Medical Research Institute (IHMRI) is a focal point for health and medical research in our region. We support academic, clinician and health professional researchers so that research findings can be rapidly translated into improved clinical practice and health service delivery.
Founded by our partners the University of Wollongong (UOW) and the Illawarra Shoalhaven Local Health District (ISLHD), we are recognised as an independent Medical Research Institute by the New South Wales State Government, making us eligible for funding from the Medical Research Support Program administered by the Office of Health and Medical Research in the NSW Ministry of Health.
This funding for infrastructure, together with the ongoing support of our partners, enables us to provide a range of services for health and medical researchers. We are also registered as a charity with the Australian Charities and Not-for-profits Commission so that we can become involved in philanthropic activities with our communities.
With our high-quality shared research facilities and services we can support a broad cross-section of researchers at different stages in their careers.
Benefits of affiliation
- Be eligible for a range of IHMRI funding opportunities to support your research.
- Receive assistance with clinical trials at IHMRI’s clinical research and trials unit at UOW.
- Gain access to IHMRI’s state-of-the-art laboratories and discover a collaborative environment of shared services and amenities.
- Share knowledge and expertise at networking opportunities, such as events and participation in IHMRI Research Themes.
- Gain a competitive edge with grant writing and commercialisation advice from IHMRI’s research development services.
- Promote your work and increase community support by using IHMRI’s media and marketing services.
- Be eligible to apply for office space in IHMRI’s building at UOW (includes free photocopying, stationery and reception services).
Who can join?
Affiliation of individual researchers with IHMRI is achieved via a formal agreement.
To become an affiliated IHMRI researcher you need to be:
- an academic, clinician or health professional who is actively conducting, or intends to conduct, health and/or medical research
- willing to conduct research that aligns with IHMRI’s three broad research themes: Diagnostics and therapeutics, Mental health and the ageing brain, or Chronic conditions and lifestyle
- working within the Illawarra-Shoalhaven local government areas and currently employed by:
- the University of Wollongong (or an honorary academic),
- the Illawarra Shoalhaven Local Health District, and/or
- a medical practice.
For more information about becoming an affiliated researcher, please contact our Research Development team. They are available Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm.