Take your research to the next level
Affiliated researchers of the Illawarra Health and Medical Research Institute (IHMRI) can gain access to the well-resourced facilities and services of our Clinical Research and Trials Unit (CRTU). IHMRI has the capacity and facilities to host a wide variety of clinical trials and lifestyle intervention studies. To see an overview of clinical trials, past and present, visit Clinical trials. Please note, all clinical trial areas have induction requirements prior to enabling access. IHMRI affiliated researchers who have been inducted can read safety policies and procedures on IHMRI’s Intranet (login required).
CRTU at IHMRI
Over 440 sqm of space is available for a broad range of clinical studies, including nutrition and lifestyle interventions, psychology research, sleep studies, physical activity and movement studies and pharmacological studies. Facilities include:
- Four patient examination rooms
- Two sleep research units and observation room
- EEG equipment and Faraday cage
- Blood collection and patient observation clinics
- Pre-analytical laboratory for specimen preparation
- Secure pharmacy and investigational product storage, including secure pharmacy fridge
- One large multi-purpose activity rooms (100m2 each) suitable for physical activity trials and movement analysis—established for specialised movement measurements to assess neural control
- A psychological consultation room
- Commercial kitchen and servery
- Secure storage for clinical trial documentation
- -80 degree freezers, monitored 24/7
- First Aid, basic life support and automated external defibrillation equipment
- Reserved parking for patients and doctors
- Staffed reception area, specifically designed for receiving participants in clinical trials
- Office space for researchers to use while they are on site conducting trials.
Our CRTU is serviced by clinical trial coordinators who provide high-level support to trial sponsors and clinical investigators.
The team maintains a number of accreditations to ensure gold-standard service is provided to their research participants, patients and clients. These accreditations cover processes and procedures such as:
- Good Clinical Practice
- intravenous cannulation
- electrocardiograph (ECG)
- packing and shipping infectious substances and biological specimens
- automated external defibrillation
- basic life support.
Team members provide a variety of services for commercial and investigator-initiated trials, including:
- induction and training of study teams
- advice and coordination of facilities and equipment for research teams
- patient recruitment
- site-based Primary Investigator for commercial trials across a broad range of therapeutic areas
- medical coverage and support
- data collection and data management
- progress reports to sponsors and investigators
- liaison with ethics committees and regulatory agencies
- preparation of trial budgets and costing advice for research teams
- preparation of Case Record Forms
- patient bookings and reception services
- a variety of clinical procedures/services and specimen collection
- collection and transportation of clinical samples
- arranging pathology and sample analysis.
IHMRI has established relationships with local pathology groups to ensure all trials can be serviced as required.
- Conduct in keeping with Good Clinical Practice standards
- Timely service delivery
- Rigorous attention to detail and quality
- Confidentiality and professionalism