Are you feeling depressed?
You may be eligible to participate in the Mood, Food and Biomarkers Study.
Many people experience increased weight/appetite in depression, while others do not.
We are examining hormones and other biomarkers related to appetite and mood to better understand the links between weight gain and emotional or excessive eating in depression.
We are looking for:
- Males and females at least 18 years of age
- Experiencing depression for at least two weeks (we will assess symptoms beforehand to see if you meet the criteria)
- It doesn’t matter if you are experiencing increased, decreased or stable appetite/weight as we would like to compare people with different symptoms
- Not currently taking antidepressants.
What does the study involve?
- We will screen interested individuals by email or telephone prior to the study, to assess their symptoms and suitability to take part.
- One visit of up to 90 minutes to the University of Wollongong.
- One small blood sample will be taken.
- Height, weight, waist circumference and blood pressure will be measured.
- Questionnaires about psychological symptoms, lifestyle and eating patterns.
- A dietary assessment interview (feedback will be provided later to participants).
- Participants will be given a $50 store gift card as reimbursement for their time.
Please note we are not offering treatment as part of this study. If you are seeking treatment for a health problem, please talk to your doctor about options.
How can I participate?
For further information, please email Jessica Mills at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone Dr Sue Thomas on 02 4221 5928.